Thursday, September 27, 2012

Pandora Series

Glorious day! I has finally organized my life and will now be painting every, health and social life permitting. To kick off my return to painting I have started work on a series based upon the myth of Pandora's box. I believe it ties in well with the direction I am taking in painting and gives me a reason to paint my friend Christine.

Without further adieu I present the initial stages of each piece in the series.
Composition 1
The figure will be a prominent element in each composition because it is through her that the story unravels. For this series I want to try and place heavy emphasis on the emotional condition of Pandora. Conceptually I'm claiming to draw from Vermeer. I want to try and create private little moments and encourage the viewer to explore the scene with their eyes, of course this means I'm going to have to figure out how to create a believable scene.
Composition 2

This one will be more active than the other two so I have to be careful not to over do it and make it overwhelming. The bad stuff that Pandora let of the box will be represented by disembodied heads. In order to keep the focus on Pandora they will be slightly smaller than her head and less saturated.


Composition 3
 I am also doing my very best to ignore my typical ADD painting style and focus on one element at a time, in this case it is the face. Everything else in the composition will be built up from the face.

No comments:

Post a Comment