Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Who We Are

Like a good little art student I finished my stay in Finland with an exhibition of my work. I'm not really sure how I feel about the series as a whole. I had a chance to refine my technique and work out some concepts. It was quite the switch from the factory production pace that is expected in Montreal. When I stand back it feels like just another drop in the bucket. I feel an incessant drive in the back of my head and despite my best efforts I have not even begun to define it. I wonder now if it will ever be defined or will this be the buzz the pushes me to my limits till my time has come. At the moment I think that the answers I am seeking lies within some abstract art theory or psychology text, so my research must continue.
Animus and Persona
Anima
 
Shadow
These four pieces represent Carl Jung's main archetypes, the organizing principles of human thought and personality. I chose this theme for my stay in Finland because I felt that it would effectively cross any cultural barrier, and believe me there was a bunch of them.

In order to encourage people to actually comment on my work, I covered one wall in paper and wrote 'Who Are You' in the center. Even in an English environment it's like pulling teeth to get comments about your work so I thought this would be a bit encouraging. The images above is the result after a 3 week exhibition. In the end there was a lot of great answers and I'm glad I included it.

Reflecting back on the show I couldn't help but think about the marketability of this series or even portraiture in general. For whatever reason I am drawn to that particular style of expression, but I can't really see a use for it besides my indulgent need to endlessly create and express the ideas whirling around my head. I suppose we will all have to wait and see what becomes of me and my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment