Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Crit tomorrow so paintings finished today

Duckie Still Life
Today was a catch all rampage to put the final few brushstrokes on some paintings till I abandon them for now. It was a bittersweet victory as I wouldn't really like to call any of these paintings finished, but it is more like I am done with them. Mr. Duckie there turned out well considering how much trouble I had working with yellow. Quite accidentally I also discovered that as an art piece you can pull a few messages from it if you wish. Some sort of environmental stuff about plastic ruining our ecosystem, but let's face it, I did this cause rubber duckies are awesome.
Medusa's Garden
 This was one of the first paintings I started here in Finland and as such I decided to try native finnish materials...bad idea. The 'canvas' that they use is closer to a burlap sack than the awesome duck cotton that I have apparently been spoiled with back in Canada. The roughness and preparation don't really bother me, it is the fact that it has an imperfect weave with holes all over, so unless you heavily gesso or paint thickly you have a hole filled painting like I do. Hint hint: one of the reasons I quickly grew disenchanted with this piece. 
Persona
 Glorious day I also managed to start work on the final painting in my Jung Series. For some reason I wrestled with the composition endlessly. Thankfully Mr Caravaggio gave me the inspiration boost I needed. Today was about getting my version of an under-painting. Everything is placed about where I want it to go and most of the basic colors and motifs have been laid down. It is far too bright though. In the next session I will pump up the shadows and hopefully decide which kind of masks the subject will be pondering over.

No comments:

Post a Comment