Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Potrait study: pinky

Today I'm claiming that my muse told me to stop painting serious stuff and do some studies to work on my technique. In response I have dug out several small wood panels, 12" x 16", and I plan to paint all kinds of portrait studies. The first one out of the gate is just an old reference photo I had laying around.


The technical challenge in this one arises from the unnatural hair color and the full figure shadow. Typically my subjects are well lit and can use some pure colors, with this one everything has to be mixed and toned down. I suddenly realize all the subtleties of grey. (Which is in no way a reference to that terrible novel) Overall the skin tone is far from what I want it to be. Presently it looks as if she has a darker skin tone rather than a light skin tone in shadow. I imagine this could be better achieved through glazing, but I continue to fail at producing a proper glaze. I'm going to try out this new recipe for medium that I got from my friend.

On a more positive note the form is starting to look rounded. If this turns out well I plan to hang it in my bedroom and class that place up some. Nude females are classy right?

No comments:

Post a Comment